We had thought we might go for a walk this morning before we went for lunch, but sadly rain stopped that plan. At least we had the consolation of a tasty lunch ........ Malcolm's sandwich was pastrami with leek jam
while I had ham with apricot chutney
back home, I headed out to the studio, and turned on the tv - the diehard Wimbledon fans were braving the rain on "Henman Hill" to watch the Centre Court match, the only one being played, on big screens
while the lucky ticket holders watched in comfort under the roof
so, I pressed Mrs B and popped her up on the design wall. Since I added the large hexagon border, I have been unhappy with it, as the hexagons are too big
so I think I will make up some diamond stars like this, and add one to the centre of each hexagon
I am stitching the first of the small hexagon borders
I have the strip ready for the second side, and I counted out the hexagons that I need for the other two
I had already prepped quite a few of these hexagon pyramids (yes, I like stitching hexies!)
they alternate between coloured ones, and calico ones
so I sorted out the rest of the ones that I had already prepped, and counted out the hexies I need to make the rest
but in sorting out all the bits and bobs that I had cut then not used, I found this pile of squares
so perhaps I will add a border of squares before the pyramid border
I folded the remaining bigger pieces of fabrics and put them back in the project box
oops, a pile of scrappy bits left on the floor (note to self, please vacuum the carpet!!) (in case you are wondering why a chose to have a plain brown carpet in the studio, when every little bit of thread shows on it ......... it was the end of a roll, and we got it for a bargain price!)
there is probably enough of this fabric for a last border, if I need to make the quilt a little bit bigger to sit on our bed, in top of our comforter
these scrappy bits have been put next to the sewing machine, to be used as thread catchers
I also tidied up my sewing tin, with my beautiful Japanese silk threads (with two YLI ones one the left) The little tub of applique pins was given to me years ago by a friend ......
....... who also gave me this tin (which describes me perfectly!)
it contains this little tape measure - which is much too cute to unwrap and use!
having sorted out Mrs B (or maybe I should start calling her not-quite-mrs-B), I got out another project box - yes, it's the Aunts' Quilt
I didn't like the outer border on the pattern (dozens of scallops), but hadn't decided what to do instead. But then recently I saw an idea when I was blog hopping (I can't now remember where I saw it, so if it was on your blog, please tell me so that I can put in a link). So, a very simple idea, groups of three stems, each with a circle at the end. After all the machine sewing that I have done recently, it will be nice to sit and do some hand sewing (or rather, lots of hand sewing!).
having just proof-read the post, I think I need to use less exclamation marks!!